The Privateer Bands
The Privateers are derived from the Orion Pirates of Star Trek: The Original Series.
Overall, the Privateers are statistically one of the more successful races. The Privateers are built around the ability to hide and rob ships, then capture them through towing. They are weak in a straight fight. However, they have valuable advantages in speed and stealth. The Privateers are considered a difficult race to play because of the coordination and planning required.
- Gravatonic Accelerators: 3 Privateer ships have Gravatonic Acccelerators, which allow them to travel twice as far as other ships at the same warp speed.
- Rob Ship: robs fuel from ships at the same point in space.
- Beam tuning: Beams weapons deal three times the normal crew killing.
- Tow capture: Can tow-capture fuelless ships. (also called boarding)
- All of the crew goes traitor when boarded by another ship.
- Cannot clone foreign ship designs
See The master ship list for a list of The Privateer Bands ships.
- Meteor Class Blockade Runner: This ship is one of the most important and sought-after in the game. The MCBR has a Gravatonic Accelerator in addition to significant fuel and cargo capacity, 4 beams and 4 torpedo tubes. It is the Privateers' main ship for taking larger prey. Besides robbing, the MBCR can be used effectively for logistics, towing around other ships.
- Br5 Kaye Class Torpedo Boat: A small ship, but it has a Gravatonic Accelerator and two engines, and useful for towing and smaller capture.
- Br4 Class Gunship: Similar to the Br5, but with 5 beams instead of 4 beams and 1 torp tube.
While being fast, the MBCR, Br4, and Br5 will all be destroyed by a mine hit.
- Lady Royale Class Cruiser: The LRCC generates credits when carrying clans.
- Bloodfang Class Carrier: With 7 beams and 4 fighter bays, the 'fang is the heaviest ship in the Privateer fleet but mediocre among the heavier ships in the game.
Offensively, the main tactic of the Privateers is to use "wolfpacks" to rob and then tow ships they wish to acquire. Defensively, it is similar. Since the Privateers' main ships are not heavy, and because they are weak in a straight fight, they often use the excess minerals to build defensive starbases.
The Privateers, using the Gravatonic Accelerators, can expand quickly early. They are also able to pick off other races unarmed transports early.
Most races benefit greatly from an alliance from the Privateers, more than the Privateers benefit from an alliance with them. Therefore, Privateers players may with to ally defensively. Combining advantages and disadvantages, the Robots make a good ally.
The Feds are attractive for having a number of ships with special abilities, and some effective heavy ships.
The Privateer Bands
Set AlliancePrivateer= in page. Information about allying with ..
The heavy and powerful Borg cubes, towed by Privateer MCBRs at double speed can be a very effective, hard-hitting combination.
Since webmines are so difficult to handle for the Privateers, the Crystals are a good race for the Privateers to keep good relations with. The Crystals will want cloaking ships for dropping webmines, allowing them to turn their strong defensive advantage into offense.
The heavy and powerful Robot ships, towed by Privateer MCBRs at double speed can be a very effective, hard-hitting combination. Also, the 'bots will seek cloaking ships to drop mines in advance of a battle group, or behind enemy lines to disrupt internal movements.
Races with special minelaying abilities or Loki decloaking abilities have the best answers for the Privateer tactics; cloaked ships avoid being robbed.
Fed Loki class destroyers will decloak ships seeking to rob, allowing them to be destroyed.
Lizard Loki class destroyers will decloak ships seeking to rob, allowing them to be destroyed.
The Birds have some ability to avoid being robbed because of the number of ships with cloaking devices.
Fascist Glory devices can make things difficult for Privateers.
The Privateer Bands
Set EnemyPrivateer= in page. Information about fighting with ..
The Crystal webmines are the most effective defense against Privateers.
The 'bot 4x minelaying makes traveling across many lightyears with gravatonic accelerators a hazardous proposition.