Medium Deep Space Freighter
One opinion: The Medium Deep Space Freighter is a single-engine craft that should rarely be built. Recommended early in the game if starting population is very limited.
Alternative opinion: The MDSF is a very useful ship for the following reasons:
1. Cheap to build, few minerals and only one engine. Build with a Hyper Drive 8 if you have to.
2. 200 cargo is a useful amount of cargo in the early and mid-game.
3. If built with a tech 1 engine, it can be towed by a LDSF or it can be used by a capital ship as an external cargo pod to get more productive miles out of the capital ship. This is particularly effective for the Pirates.
4. Cheap enough to help fill up to the ship limit and used in manner of previous point until later recycling.
5. It has a long range. It has 200 cargo room and 250 fuel tank. A LDSF has 1200 cargo room and 600 fuel tank. To have the same ratio of cargo to fuel, the LDSF would have to have a 1500 fuel capacity.
|Medium Deep Space Freighter||3||0||0/0||1||65||4||4||6||60||200||250||6||none||0|
With a Transwarp Drive, the Medium Freighter can total 1750ly (about 0.14 kT/ly) of non-stop movement with a full tank but no cargo, and 670ly (about 0.37 kT/ly) when completely full
The Medium Deep Space Freighter does not currently have any addon-exclusive abilities.